Phenotypic and genomic characterization
“Dual Breeding” – Dual purpose cattle breeds: an alternative eco-sustainable zootechnical model.
The Dual Breeding project approved by MIPAAF - Management Authority of the PSRN Biodiversity sub-measure 10.2 - is aimed at fostering knowledge, enhancing and safeguarding the genetic characteristics of dual-purpose cattle breeds - milk and meat - and in particular, when it comes to the competence of ANaBoRaRe, of the Reggiana, Modenese and Varzese cattle breeds.
The main objectives of the project, which is integrated with the existing selection program for the Reggiana breed, are the conservation and characterization of animal heritage, the maintenance of genetic variability, as well as the identification of new possible indicators related to animal welfare, environmental impact and resistance to disease.
The project is focused on main actions that aim:
- to obtain a phenotypic characterization of the animals by detecting new phenotypic morphological and productive parameters related to well-being and resistance to disease, longevity, rusticity and overcoming defects;
- to obtain a description and management of genetic variability through the calculation and estimation of new genetic and genomic parameters and the complete genomic characterization of the breed, for better management of mating and control of consanguinity;
- to have optimal management of the genetic resources of the breed through the organization and collection of new information and the use of new tools such as the establishment of the germplasm bank, a bank of biological material, the preparation of growth tests at the control station and database implementation to appropriately store information and data produced regarding the cattle;
- to add value to the genetic uniqueness of the breed by linking it singularly to the production of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese through a genetic authentication system;
- to promote training initiatives and dissemination of innovation and results derived from the project.
Objectives and actions considered strategic for the protection of the breeds, for which an EAFRD - European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: Europe invests in rural areas - contribution has been recognized totalling 1,089,910.16 Euros, equal to 90% of the permitted expenditure of 1,211,011.29 Euros, for the expected duration of 32 months of activity.
(Visit the Dual Breeding website)
Project funded by the 2014/2020 National Rural Development Program
Managing authority: Mipaaf - Directorate General for Rural Development of the Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forestry Policies